And here is the (very) rough outline of my talk yesterday at NSA’s weekly Disputatio:
- God is the Creator of all things. He is the Creator of Heaven and earth, which is the biblical way of saying that He created what we call nature. This nature, coming from the hand of a God who does all things according to the purpose of His will, is designed and has a nature. There is no place where we may go, stand, and observe, where that place does not have and exhibit its God-given nature. Not one atom is uncreated.
- God is the Lord of whatever He created, and He created everything. Since marriage is among those things He created, this means that He and He alone is the Lord of marriage.
- In His resurrection from the dead, the Lord Jesus purchased back with His blood that which was dislocated due to man’s rebellion. Thus, by two-fold right, creation and redemption, the authority of God’s Christ is exhaustive.
- Jesus is therefore Lord out of doors. “That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him” (Eph. 1:10). The thing you must learn to recognize and avoid, at all costs, is a “retreat to commitment.”
- Heart religion begins in the heart and if religion does not begin there, then it is not true religion. At the same time, and for the same reasons, if religion remains stuck in the heart, or in the faith community, then it is not true religion either.
- Jesus is the Lord of history. This means that you are called to be true conservatives and true progressives. What should we conserve? Toward what do we progress? We are to conserve whatever the Holy Spirit has done in history, and we are to progress toward (and be instruments of ) whatever the Holy Spirit intends to do in the future.
- The only thing that can prevent you from doing this is sin. Not sin in the abstract, but the particular sins that you want to give way to right now. The things that are a current temptation to you are the only obstacles. And keep in mind the fact that the things that are a real snare for you are likely to be the temptations that you think are altogether lovely.
Is the audio for this available anywhere online?
The only thing that can prevent you from doing this is sin. Not sin in the abstract, but the particular sins that you want to give way to right now. The things that are a current temptation to you are the only obstacles. And keep in mind the fact that the things that are a real snare for you are likely to be the temptations that you think are altogether lovely. And when you sin (and you will) the devil will accuse and abuse; remember that He is faithful and His Cross still applies. Confess your sin, learn and continue… Read more »
Mr. Wilson, I’ve signed up twice to get the weekly digest. The first time, I received it for several weeks, but it then stopped coming. The second time, it never has been received. Something I’m doing wrong, perhaps? I miss the weekly infusion of thoughtfulness!
Yes, I’d love to see/hear this. Especially if you piped it through the ChristChurch app. :) Or some other method.
Can a trained OBGYN be forced by a Federal Court to perform an abortion?
– Dr used to perform them but came to Christ and ceased the practice due to his faith
– Dr. works at a government-run health care facility, let’s say the VA, and his salary is paid by Federal Government
Hi albrevin — can you clarify your question? — “trained” as in lots of years of practice and so in good standing with the VA? “forced” as in threatened with fines or jail?